Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Non-Scale Victory

In the parlance of Weight Watchers (WW) there are these things called non-scale victories, or NSVs.  An NSV is any weight-loss related accomplishment that isn't losing weight.  It could be losing inches or a pants size.  It could be running for the first time, or finishing your first 5k.  It could be telling some annoying person to STFU before you sit on them :-)  And many times, NSVs revolve around the food we don't eat, eat in moderation, or eat something else instead of.

I had two NSVs today.

The first was in my office.  We're investigating a new coffee vendor -- similar to Kcups, but different.  So, they brought in all kinds of samples for the staff to try.  And, they brought in something like six dozen Dunkin' Doughnuts.  They brought in glazed Dunkin' Doughnuts, which happen to be my most favorite kind of doughnut.  Well, other than the mini white powdered ones.  I avoided the coffee test tasting because I didn't want to place myself in temptation's way.   However, when I went down to get my lunch time diet coke, the doughnuts were still there, calling my name!  I looked at them adoringly, but, I didn't take one!  I got my diet coke and walked the flight of stairs up to my floor. 

Phew.

So, that was NSV #1 today.  Sarah: 1; Doughnuts: 0.

The second happened this evening at home.  My husband and I got into, shall we say, a bit of a heated discussion.  I was mad and frustrated and wanted to cry.  And all I could think of was "a number 3 at McDonald's will make me feel all better.  I'll go out and get one.  And then I'll feel better."  Seriously, that's what ran through my head for like 20 minutes.  I ended up going out to the pharmacy to pick up a few things.  The McDonald's is on the way home.  But, as I pulled out CVS's parking lot I told myself "I don't want McDonald's".  And you know what? I didn't any longer.  I wasn't going to let McDonald's be my drug of choice.  It all ties into my favorite weight loss quote: face your stuff; don't stuff your face.  I didn't stuff my face!

So, that was NSV #2.  Sarah: 1; McDonald's: 0.

To someone who isn't an emotional eater or isn't tempted by fried sweet goodness, you'll think I'm an idiot.  But, if you are an emotional eater like me, you'll relate.  If you're one of those people who eat something just because it's there and free, you'll relate.  If you've ever struggled with making the harder, but better, choice about what you put in your body, you'll relate. 

I'm proud of my NSVs today.   It gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment