Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My love affair with Amazon

I have always loved books.  Even from an early age, I much preferred to be reading than doing almost anything else.  I devoured books and still do, although with a 2-year old, I now read on a less frequent basis.  Like many women, I'm a multi-tasker, so I usually have two or three books going at once -- my downstairs book, my bedroom book, and, I'll admit it, my bathroom book. 

Look, when you have a two-year old, sometimes your only private time is in the bathroom.  And lately, I haven't even had that since she's decided that she has to join me in the bathroom most of the time.  So, I refuse to be ashamed because I read in the bathroom.

I'm always on the look out for a good motivational book, whether it's about losing weight, eating right, managing time better, being a better mother, being a better wife, working smarter not harder, etc.  I tend to be obsessive about a certain topic or idea and then must possess every book on that subject.  It's probably why my bookshelves are sagging from the weight of my kazillion books.

The other night I placed an order for seven books.  That was me showing restraint -- there were twice that many that I wanted.  And they will all be delivered today thanks to the wonder that is Amazon Prime.

So, what's on my reading list?

One book for work: 

18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done












And six books just for me:

Life Is Hard, Food Is Easy: The 5-Step Plan to Overcome Emotional Eating and Lose Weight on Any DietThe End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without FoodChange Anything: The New Science of Personal SuccessThe Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin PersonShrink Yourself: Break Free from Emotional Eating Forever

They are all highly rated on Amazon and, more importantly, sound really interesting to me.  I'm particuarly looking forward to the Change Anything book.  I think it will be nice to get some insight into how our brains work and how to make change click.  Because, if I'm going to lose 150 lbs or more, I need my mind to click sooner or later.  Hopefully sooner. 

I'm sure I'll be posting follow up posts about the books; maybe even giving them a review on Amazon.  I know nobody reads my blog, but if you do, leave me a comment with your favorite self-improvement/motivational/inspirational book.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment