Sunday, January 22, 2012

I love grocery shopping

I love shopping of any kind, including grocery shopping.  What is weird though, is that my husband usually does the shopping since I had the baby.  It was just easier for me to stay home with her while he went.  Although I love the actual activity of shopping, I hate parking, and dealing with crowds and he is much better at dealing with those things.  However, having him do the shopping has caused funny and annoying situations in the past -- like the time I asked for whipping cream for corn pudding for Thanksgiving and he came home a can of whipped cream.  Oh well, I still love the guy.  He didn't know that whipping cream existed, and why should he?

Anyway, I've gone shopping the last two weeks to stock up on my "diet" food.  It's easier for both of us -- he doesn't have to worry if he's getting me the right item and I can impulsively pick up items that I see that look good.  And I don't have to justify why I need steel cut oats AND regular oatmeal. 

I just got back from Giant with a $97 food bill.  What's sad is that doesn't include the shopping my husband did earlier in the day at the Latino Supermarket where we get most of our meat, fruits, and vegetables.  The produce is usually better and cheaper than at Safeway or Giant and the meat is totally cheaper.  But, they don't sell things like cottage cheese or string cheese.

I'm not fat because I dislike fruit or veggies.  I'm fat because I love fatty food, I worship at the altar of carbs, my portions are way too large, and I don't exercise.  But I was thrilled to load up my cart today with yummy goodness.  I try to avoid too many processed foods when I do Weight Watchers.  I've realized that snack bars and crackers don't do much for me.  But, I was thrilled to find Libby's Splenda-sweetened canned crushed pineapple.  That's 0 pts for 1/2 a cup as opposed to 2 pts for the same serving size of pineapple chunks in juice.  Now I can have all the cottage cheese and pineapple that I want!

Did you know that Frank's Buffalo wing sauce is fat free and calorie free?  I know!  Get the hell outta here!  I forgot half the ingredients for this recipe http://mybizzykitchen.com/2010/02/06/best-buffalo-chicken-chili/, but I think I have enough things in the house that I can do substitutions.  Of course, my husband just informed me that he doesn't like buffalo chicken, but that's okay with me!

And, I bought the ingredients for this recipe as well:  http://blueberrygirlinoz.blogspot.com/2010/05/no-sugar-oat-drops.html.  I'm going to try using applesauce instead of the veggie oil and adding in some blueberries instead of the rasins. 

Both recipes sound super yummy and they're WW friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment