Thursday, February 2, 2012

Week 2: Weigh In

I actually was excited to step on the scale this morning.   I know that seems a bit crazy, but it's the truth.  I just had a good feeling about this week.  I've been within my points all week.

Plus, I now have a scale that is actually consistent.  I know, a novel concept, expecting one's scale to provide the same reading within a 5 minute time span.  So, I went into this weigh in feeling good, but also knowing that the number on the scale may not be exactly right because I've switched scales.  As anyone who has ever used scales know, two scales rarely give you the same weight.  You can weigh one thing at the doctor's office, a completely diferent number at home, and a completely different one at the gym.  And I'm not talking about the gain and loss that natural occurs throughout the day as you eat and drink water; the weight can vary by 10 lbs sometimes!

ANYWAY, when I got on the scale this morning, sans clothes (!), I weighed 344 lbs!  That is -6.6 lbs since last week!  For a total loss of 11.6 lbs!  Go me!  I can now say that I am out of the 350s and it feels AMAZING to say that. I hope to never see them again. 

I meant to take a picture of the readout this morning so I have a picture to go with my post, but I forgot.  Weighing in before work is actually a little tricky for me.  My husband is a morning showerer so I get the munchkin up, changed, dressed, and give her her bottle.  My husband fixes the bottle before his shower.  I then get myself dressed and wait to finish doing my morning routine once Diego is out of the shower (he takes the longest showers ever.  I have no idea why it takes such a skinny man such a long time to get clean!).  However, I prefer to weigh in nekkid.  Clothes add like a pound or two to your weight. Why would I want to artificially inflate my weight like that ;-)

So, on Thursday mornings that puts us a little bit behind schedule.  I hate being behind schedule.  I get very anxious if we're running late.  You would have thought that a two year old would have broken me of that habit, but old habits die hard.  Anyway, the moral of the story is, it's a production to weigh myself on Thursday mornings, so that's why I forgot the camera.  If I didn't have it upstairs with me, there was no way I was going to remember this morning.  Which I didn't.  Maybe next weei.

I'm still on a mental high from the big loss, but now I need to focus on keeping myself motivated.  I know that it's unlikely that I'll have a big loss again next week; it's a commonly accepted "rule" that in the beginning the weight comes off pretty easily, but as you continue to lose the rate of loss slows down.  Alot of people get discouraged by this, especially if they're used to seeing 5 lb losses.  But, at some point your body adjusts to the fewer calories and responds accordingly.  And, everything I've read says that a slower rate of loss is better for you in the long run.

I just have to keep telling myself that slow and steady wins the race.  I just have to focus on today and not worry about what tomorrow or next week will bring. Because if I do the best I can each and every day, I'm bound to see results, even if they are small results.




No comments:

Post a Comment